In Pastoral Theology: The Pastor in the Various Duties of His Office, Thomas Murphy shares a plan on how to memorize scripture. Here is a slightly paraphrased summary of the plan: Repeat a passage of scripture 15X/per day, reviewing the previous twenty-five passages 1X/day.
Here’s how to get started:
- Get a blank book.
- Write down at least 25 scriptures passages with their verse references and number them. Choose passages of various lengths and topics.
- Repeat the first passage 15x/day for two weeks.
- Repeat the second passage 15x/day for two weeks and reviewing the first passage 1x/day.
- Continue the process with the third, reviewing all previous passages 1x/day. Continue this pattern.
- Once the first 25 are completed, write down another 25.
- From now on, drop the oldest passage every time you add a new one, so that each day you repeat a new passage 15X/per day and review the previous twenty-five passages 1X/day.